Monday, October 18, 2010

Midterm Refelections: All the way to Halfway Reflections

1.) After studying 21st century media for eight weeks in this class, what have you learned? Please be specific.
 I've learned a lot of little interesting facts about the media and the history of media from the Media and Culture book, but I probably won't remember a lot of the dates and numbers.  What I will, will be how to analyze media, the techniques that are used to get us to agree with the producer/buy a product.

2.) What is the most important thing you have learned about yourself as a critical reader, a writer, and a thinker in this class so far?
I don't analyze into the meanings of things.  I've always just sort of taken things at face value.

3.) What’s one thing you would do differently this first half of the semester if you were to take this class again?
 I would stay on top of the blog posts instead of leaving everything until the last minute.  I spend too much time enjoying media.


4.) What’s one thing you would like me to do differently this first half of the semester if you were to take this class again?
 I'm not quite sure I get the point of the personal blogs.  The class blog is good though.


5.) Please comment on the usefulness of the power tools, our course blog, your personal blog, our in-class quizzes, our films, and our book(s) as learning tools.
 The Power tools and quizzes are excellent.  I like these, and the 6-box quizzes.  The two combined teach us to analyze media and to look at it in ways that previously we would not.  The courseblog and book notes are good.  It's an easy way to submit homework, and are good to keep track of what we have for homework.  The personal blogs I don't really like.  I've never liked blogs though, it seems like there are many of them on the internet that are just a few posts, or are people talking about their lives, rather than an informative topic.  I think blogging is like writing, you need to have an interesting topic, and an audience to write for, and a certain skill in writing, or talking in the case of a video blog is required.  The movies shown in class have been good so far.  Movies are always enjoyable and break up the monotony of the day.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent blogging here, Silas.

    So glad the course seems to be working for you!

    The point of personal blogs is to give you your OWN digital platform to play in the digital media convergence sandbox, and to push you to use the power tools in an clear and compelling way. Cool?

    Bravo, and audeamus,

    Dr. W

    ReplyDelete